Kaloko-Honokōhau National Historical Park in Hawaiʻi is an ideal place to study anchialine pools. With the Anchialine Pools STEM Kit, students build physical models to learn how the hidden groundwater is vital to the survival of these culturally significant pools.
Big Concepts: include: 1) groundwater – surface water interactions; 2) stratification; 3) effects of groundwater extraction; and 4) cultural context.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) constructing physical models; 2) scientific illustration; 3) map versus cross-sectional views; and 4) use of science notebooks.
Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Tutorials
- Preparing the sand video
- Preparing the colored water video
- Cleaning the sand video
- Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Clean-Up & Repacking Instructions
- Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Material List
Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Resources
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Science Notebook Evaluation Rubric (coming soon)
- Anchialine Pools STEM Kit Instruction Booklet (for more information, contact Andrew Warnock)
Other Helpful Resources
- Disappearing ʻOpae ʻula (red shrimp)
- Kaloko-Honokōhau 3D Paper Model
- Waters of Kāne Dice Game
- Waters of Kāne Clever Catch Ball
- The Waters of Kaloko-Honokōhau Self-Guided Nature Trail Guide
- Electrical Conductivity Backpack
- Schoolyard Water Budget STEM Kit
- Kaloko-Honokōhau Reference Materials
Borrowing the Anchialine Pool STEM Kits
Kona, Hawaiʻi Educators should contact the park to make arrangements.
Educators outside of Hawaiʻi should contact the NSEOC through the loan applications below.
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-7716).
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested