Description: Learn the science behind wolves through a series of activities that simulates wildlife biology techniques, such as observations, tracking, simulations, and scat analysis. It also incorporates the perceptions of different stakeholders that will prompt great group discussions into how human and wolves could share the landscape as they return to their historical range.
Big Concepts include: 1) patterns of interaction; 2) wolf behavior; 3) scat analysis; 4) resource availability; 5) pack size and range; 6) natural and human-built environments.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) simulation; 2) mapping; 3) use of microscope; 4) hair identification; 5) data collection and interpretation and 6) evaluation of different viewpoints.
Wonder of Wolves STEM Kit Resources
- Wonder of Wolves STEM Kit Facilitator’s Guide
- Blank Wolf Analysis Template
- Plantilla de Análisis de Lobo en blanco
- Wonder of Wolves Worksheet (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks) The NSEOC highly recommends students keep a science notebook for all science classes, but if this is not possible, all of the Science Notebook prompts from the booklet are included with space for students to write and sketch as needed.
- Hoja de Trabajo de Los Asombrosos Lobos (para usar en lugar del cuaderno de ciencias)
- Wonder of Wolves STEM Kit Booklet (English and Spanish version)
(available upon request – email name and school to Andrew Warnock)
Other Useful Resources
BORROWING WONDER OF WOLVES STEM KITS
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Send the appropriate application form via email to Laura Schoenfeld (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-2005). We appreciate applications to be sent 2 weeks in advance to the desired use date.