Using raw materials such as gears, propellers, motors, solar cells, wood, and math, in the Solar Cars STEM Kit, students learn about engineering design principals and iterative prototyping as they design the most efficient car possible.
Big Concepts include: 1) engineering design principles; 2) solar energy; and 3) gear and pulley ratios.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) iterative testing; 2) maker style creativity; and 3) use of science notebooks.
Solar Cars STEM Kit Tutorials
- How to Make the Car Go Straight (video coming soon)
- Solar Cars STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Solar Cars STEM Kit Clean-Up & Repacking Instructions
- Solar Cars STEM Kit Material List
- Solar Cars YouTube Tutorial
Solar Cars STEM Kit Resources
- Engineering Design Graphic
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Solar Cars STEM Kit Instruction Booklet (available upon request – email name and school to Dr. Andrew Warnock)
Other Useful Resources
Borrowing Solar Cars STEM Kits
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-7716).
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested