Explore how carbon moves through the environment by analyzing three soil samples from different areas of the 2012 High Park Fire. In the Soil Carbon STEM Kit, students will develop real lab skills to determine which of the samples was intensely burned, moderately burned, or unburned.
Big Concepts include: 1) carbon cycle.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) use of microscope and digital balance; 2) soil sample preparation; 3) visual estimation; 4) data collection and 5) use of science notebooks.
Soil Carbon STEM Kit Tutorials
- Soil Carbon STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Soil Carbon STEM Kit Clean-Up & Repacking Instructions
- Soil Carbon STEM Kit Material List
- Soil Carbon YouTube Tutorial
Soil Carbon STEM Kit Resources
- Video Introduction
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Soil Carbon STEM Kit Instruction Booklet
(available upon request – email name and school to Dr. Andrew Warnock)
- Faculty Collaborator: Dr. Francesca Cotrufo – Warner College of Natural Resources, Natural Resources Ecology Lab
Other Useful Resources
Borrowing Get Energized! STEM Kits
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-7716). These kits require the use of microscopes which are not in the kits. Local teachers may borrow our Brock Scopes, but we will not ship them to teachers.
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested