Explore the interaction between the virtual and physical worlds with this unique programming kit. In the Pico Pong STEM Kit, students will learn how to code a simple game (Pong) in the Scratch programming environment and then use a Pico sensor board to collect a variety of sensor data: light, pressure, flex, sound, and position. Then they will use that data to control the game paddles!
Big Concepts include: 1) computer coding and 2) sensors.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) If/Then logic; 2) use of sensors to collect data; 3) applying formulas to sensor data and 4) use of science notebooks.
Pico Pong STEM Kit Tutorials
- Scratch Programming Tips (video coming soon)
- Pico Pong STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Pico Pong STEM Kit Repacking Instructions
- Pico Pong STEM Kit Material List
Pico Pong STEM Kit Resources
- Blank Data Table Template
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Pico Pong STEM Kit Instruction Booklet
(available upon request – email name and school to Dr. Andrew Warnock)
- Faculty Collaborator: Dr. Jaime Ruiz – University of Florida, Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering
Other Useful Resources
Borrowing Pico Pong STEM Kits
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (email@example.com) or fax (970-491-7716).
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested