Now more than ever is the time to learn about what viruses are and how the human immune system fights against them. In the Going Viral STEM Kit, students will explore epidemiological modeling with and without vaccinations and herd immunity.
Big Concepts include: 1) vaccines; 2) microbes; 3) immune system; and 4) pathogens.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) data collection and analysis; 2) using a microscope; 3) comparing and contrasting microbes; 4) modeling; and 5) use of science notebooks.
Going Viral STEM Kit Tutorials
- Going Viral STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Going Viral Clean-Up & Repacking Instructions
- Going Viral STEM Kit Material List
Going Viral STEM Kit Resources
- Microscope Grid Template (coming soon)
- Microbe Sorting Cards (coming soon)
- Immune Response Cards (coming soon)
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Science Notebook Evaluation Rubric (coming soon)
- Going Viral STEM Kit Instruction Booklet
(available upon request – email name and school to Dr. Andrew Warnock)
- Faculty Collaborator: Dr. Jennifer McLean – College of Veterinary Medicine & Biological Sciences, Dept. of Microbiology, Immunology & Pathology
Other Useful Resources
Borrowing Going Viral STEM Kits
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-7716).
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested