Learn what it takes to develop a new, more efficient battery and solar panel. In the Get Energized! STEM Kit, students will test different materials and use their own data to help them construct a working rechargeable battery and solar cell using skills and techniques straight out of a CSU research laboratory.
Big Concepts include: 1) renewable energy; 2) batteries; 3) solar cells; 4) galvanic series; 5) polarity; and 6) photovoltaics.
Scientific Inquiry Skills include: 1) systematic testing of materials; 2) data collection and analysis; 3) use of multimeter and digital balance; and 4) use of science notebooks.
Get Energized! STEM Kit Tutorials
- Trouble Shooting Battery Cell Stacks (video coming soon)
- Get Energized! STEM Kit Use Instructions (complete teacher guide)
- Get Energized! STEM Kit Clean-Up & Repacking Instructions
- Get Energized! STEM Kit Material List
- Get Energized! YouTube Tutorial (Part 1 of 2)
- Get Energized! YouTube Tutorial (Part 2 of 2)
Get Energized! STEM Kit Resources
- Blank Data Table Template
- Science Notebook Template (for use in lieu of Science Notebooks)
- Science Notebook Template (Spanish version)
- Science Notebook Evaluation Rubric
- Get Energized! STEM Kit Classroom Discussion Questions
- Get Energized! STEM Kit Instruction Booklet
(available upon request – email name and school to Dr. Andrew Warnock)
- Faculty Collaborator: Dr. Amy Prieto – College of Natural Sciences, Dept. of Chemistry
- Clean Energy @ CSU
Other Useful Resources
- History and Basics of Batteries
- Chemistry of Silicon Solar Cells
- Galvanic Series Explained
- Electrochemistry Explained
Borrowing Get Energized! STEM Kits
There is no charge to educators who wish to borrow any of our STEM kits. Educators who are located in the Northern Colorado area and can come to the CSU Fort Collins campus to pick up the kits should complete the Local Pick-Up Loan Application. All other educators in Colorado should complete the Delivery Loan Application Form and the NSEOC will ship the classroom set of kits to you free of charge. Return loan application forms to Courtney Butler via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (970-491-7716).
- Local Pick-Up Loan Application Form – for educators in the immediate area of Fort Collins (i.e.: Greeley, Loveland, Ault, Windsor, Johnstown, etc.)
- Delivery Loan Application Form – for educators in Colorado outside of the immediate Fort Collins area
- Educator Feedback Survey – must be completed after returning kits to the NSEOC and before another kit can be requested
Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes. – John Dewey